Check out these 10 interesting facts about China! How many of these do you already know?
1) China is officially known as the People’s Republic of China.
2) China has the largest population in the world, which is 1.357 billion in 2013.
3) China is the fourth largest country in the world (after the United States. Canada, Russia). It has an area of 3,747,879 sq miles, which is slightly smaller than the U.S.
4) China only has one time zone: Beijing time (UTC+8).
5) The summit of Mt Everest is the international border between China and Nepal.
6) There are seven main languages spoken in China, and these languages are Mandarin, Yue (Cantonese), Xiang, Gan, Hakka, Min, and Wu. These languages are not mutually intelligible, and only Mandarin is called language. The other six are classified as dialects. Learn more about the Chinese language
7) China is the second largest economy in the world, after the United States.
8) China is the third country that sends a person to space successfully in 2003.
9) The Great Wall of China is the largest man made structure in the world, which is 5,500 miles long.
10) China is considered the longest continuous civilization and the world’s longest continuously used written language.