Check out the 10 Interesting Facts about the Great Wall of China. How many of these do you already know? By reading the facts below, you will learn how long the Great Wall of China is, how it was build, and why it was built, and more.
1. The Great Wall of China (Long Wall in Chinese) is made up of different sections, and these sections were built using bricks and stones by different dynasties for a long period of time.
2. Glutinous rice was used for making materials to bind the bricks and stones when the Great Wall of China was in the Qin Dynasty (221-207BC), which was over 2000 years ago.
3. The Great Wall was built to prevent invasions and attacks from the north.
4. The Great Wall of China is the longest architecture on Earth, and it is also the longest structure ever built by humans.
5. The width of the Great wall is 20 feet at bottom and 16 feet at top. The highest point of the wall is around 8 meters (26 ft).
6. The length of the Great Wall is about 5,500.3 miles (8,851.8 kilometers).
7. A great number of people lost their lives while building the wall.
8. Each year, more than 10 million people visit some of the well-maintained areas of the Great Wall, such as those near Beijing (the capital city).
9. During the Cultural Revolution (1966-1976), many bricks of the Great Wall were taken away to use in building homes, farms or reservoirs.
10. The Great Wall of China cannot be seen from the moon with naked eye. It can only be seen with aid.