How many of these General Facts about China do you know?
Full Name: The official name of the country is The People’s Republic of China. The Chinese Name is Zhong Guo, which means Middle Country.
Area: China has an area of 3,747,879 sq miles (9.5 million square kilometer).
Location: China is in the Asian continent (middle and East Asia by the Pacific Ocean), and some of the neighboring countries are Nepal, Burma, Mongolia, and Kyrgyzstan.
Significant Architecture: The Great Wall of China, one of the greatest wonders of the world, was made of stone, brick, tamped earth, wood, and other materials. It was listed as a World Heritage by UNESCO in 1987.
Capital: China’s capital city is Beijing. Beijing is located in northern China, and it is one of the most populous cities in the world.
Population: China has the largest population in the world, which is 1.357 billion in 2013. It is more than twice the number of people in Europe (except Russia).
People: China is composed of 56 ethnic groups. Han Chinese is about 93% of the overall Chinese population, and the 55 ethnic groups make up the remaining 7%.
National Flag: The national flag has five yellow stars on a red background, and it was adopted soon after the Communist Party came to power.
Language: China’s official language is Mandarin Chinese. The Chinese name is Putonghua, which is based on the Beijing dialect. Also, there are thousands of Chinese dialects spoken, and most of them are non-mutually-intelligible.
Climate: The climate in China is mainly continental monsoon.
Territorial Seas: China seas consist of he Yellow Sea , the Bohai Sea, the East China Sea, and the South China Sea
Form of Government: China is ruled by a single party, which is the Communist party of China. The People’s Republic of China was established on October 1, 1949.
Main Religions: China is officially atheist. There are a number of religions practiced by Chinese, which are Confucianism, Buddhism, Islam and Christianity, Catholicism, and Protestantism.
Money or Currency: The currency used in China is Renminbi (RMB) or Yuan
Administrative Demarcations: There are 23 provinces, 5 autonomous regions, 4 municipalities, and 2 Special Administrative Regions.
Chinese President: The Chinese president is Xi Jinping. On 15 November 2012, he was elected to the post of General Secretary of the Communist Party and Chairman of the CPC Central Military Commission.
You might also be interested in 10 Interesting Facts about China.